Voter ID

You need to show photo identification (ID) to vote at a polling station for the local elections in England, and Police and Crime Commissioner elections in England and Wales on 2 May.

Which forms of ID can I use to vote?

You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable. You can use any of the following:

• Passport

• Driving licence (including provisional license)

• Blue badge

• Certain concessionary travel cards

• Identity card with PASS mark (Proof of Age Standards Scheme)

• Biometric Immigration document

• Defence identity card

• Certain national identity cards

You will only need to show one form of photo ID, but it needs to be the original version and not a photocopy. The name on your ID must be the same name you used to register to vote.

For more information, including the full list of accepted forms of photo ID, visit the Electoral Commission website or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.

If you don’t have an accepted form of photo ID

If you don’t already have an accepted form of photo ID, or you’re not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you, you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate. 

Alternatively, you can complete a paper application form and send this to your local Electoral Registration Officer. 

The deadline to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate to use at 2 May elections is 5pm, Wednesday 24 April. 

If you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate or want to request an application form, contact your local Electoral Registration Officer. You can find their contact details by entering your postcode in the Electoral Commission’s search. 

Find out more

If you have any questions or would like to find out more, go to the Electoral Commission website, or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.